Run In A Million Ticker

Monday, February 11, 2013

My (Chinese) New Year's Resolutions....


An overwhelming 88% of New Year's Resolutions fail. Most people give up on their resolutions before February. I didn't want to fall into that group of people so I thought long about what I can do that is achievable, manageable and still stretches me as a runner. 

So I thought I'd take advantage of Chinese New Year-the Year of the Snake, to restate my resolutions.  I figured I'd put them all out there and blog about them each month, to keep myself on track.
Here they are:


1. Run More Consistently


If I look back at my running log last year, monthly totals had great fluctuations in mileage and the number of days running. This is one that all of us can benefit from -- and happy to say that I'm still on track after 6 weeks in; despite no cooperation recently from the weather!

2. Run More Races
Based on last year's performance, that shouldn't be difficult for me. With everything that has happened last year, any planning of races was extremely challenging in 2012. I've completed one race in January so far and have others on the radar, with the goal of doing at least one per month.

3. Sign up IN ADVANCE of races
By this, I don't mean 'same day registration' or even the night before. The last few races that I did manage to get out and run, I was closed out of the t-shirt and swag. Which sort of defeats the purpose; otherwise I can run at home, right?

4. Attempt to complete a race at every distance up to...
This is my stretch goal. Would like to make that up to distance a Marathon or Ultra, but if I can hit the 26.2 mark, I'd be pumped. So far, I've notched a 5K...and have a few others that I just need to pull the trigger and sign up

You can do this too. Race distances do not have to be completed in order; but can certainly add some challenge to your workouts.
5K - 8K - 10K - 10miler - Half - 18miler - Marathon - Ultra - Tri - BeerRun or H3 event
 +The Beer Runner can help guide you on a Beer Run/Beer Mile
see other posts for H3 (Hash House Harriers)

My advice to achieve your resolutions: Planning. 
Plan the plan. Work the plan. Stick to the plan. 
Did I mention, that you need a plan? Put your run on your calendar, same as your Status Meetings and Conference Calls. And always have an set of running clothes in your car! 

Happy running New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment