Run In A Million Ticker

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

My New Year's Resolution to Running Consistently


We all go through highs and lows in our training. And some weeks are DEFINITELY better than others.

But the goal that we all share is to "run more consistently". Not just in the number of days we run in a week or a month, but more consistently in pace/time...which will come naturally if we put it the right amount of time and effort.

It has been a challenging start to the year. And I've found myself traveling for business, a lot more than I have in the last  few years. So much so, that I decided to look at the number of check-ins on Foursquare to validate my assumptions....here's what I discovered:


In the four weeks between Jan 21 and Feb 22:
  • I have checked-in in 8 different states, via Foursquare
  • Traveled over 5,400 miles
  • Checked-in at 5 different airports
  • Ran during 16 out of 30 days
  • and ran 70 miles; which is more than I've run in one month since last May (when I last ran a half-marathon)

So, in order to continue to run consistently, not only takes a discipline and motivation, but a  a conscious effort to ensure you're getting a workout or run in, when you're able to. There will always be days where you wish you could run -- or to run more.
 
But for me personally, I think I've finally started to find a rhythm to getting it done. One successful way is planning my run on my work calendar. Whether it means running before work or between meetings at lunch; or even leaving a 4:50p to get a jump on a run before it gets dark -- I've gotten better at planning my run. 

Although travel can really wear you down, if you pack light gear for running, you'll usually have access to 24/7 hotel workout facilities. So no matter the time, you can get a run in before you start your day -- or even at the end of the evening.

Gotta run....

No comments:

Post a Comment