Run In A Million Ticker

Friday, June 18, 2010

Running with Dad

Hope that you're all planning to get out and run this weekend - supposed to be a nice Father's Day weekend....

During my running days in High School, my father was in his early sixties and didn't have a history of running or competing in sports - so needless to say, we didn't participate in any Father-Son (running) events.

During this time, my father was the casualty of corporate downsizing (in a company who's primary product was a slide-rule). Bad news. But the benefit to me... which I didn't come to realize or appreciate until years later in life - was that he was able to see me compete in my junior and senior year cross country and track meets.

Every home meet, my dad stood there quietly and reserved - a short, stocky, white-haired fixture along the last 50m of the track or at the cross country finish line. I could hear his chants "c'mon Jim" as I approached the finish line in these meets.

He was always there. Every meet.
My dad didn't say much else. Being a normal adolescent kid, it wasn't cool to be hanging out with my father at a meet.

So this is just a "Thank You Dad" for supporting my running, being there and just, well, being Dad.
Happy Father's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment