Run In A Million Ticker

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

iPod or Camera?

At many races, Race Directors will prohibit the use of iPods or headphones, because of the hazard that it could pose to other runners on the course. And while they've put some effort into restricting the use of iPods - including printing on the applications - does it change the actual use of it by runners?


I have run with both an iPod and a camera -- and on rare occasions, both.
Since I was not planning on running pace with Ryan Hall or pushing Meb during the last quarter of the race, I see my use of these not as a violation, but a perk. After all, if they're going to finish a marathon in 2hours and I'm going to be an hour or two behind - what harm does it do?

Prague Marathon
(Prague) Violinists & cobblestone streets
After all, look at the great pictures I got?!







Isn't it better to have these keepsakes, instead of missing the scenery around you? While I do like to run with my iPod to keep me moving and motivated, the camera is a pretty cool thing to have after the race. (it also forces you to walk on occasion to eliminate those blurry photos!) I've only run the 'ol traditional Kodak disposable...but with technology what it is today--might have to use my digital next time out.

Check out these keepsakes (courtesy of Elaine) from Comrades marathon....



I would much rather have these pictures to reflect back on to memorialize my event -- than to be able to run with earbuds not hearing anything around me or taking in the sites. Hopefully, the Race Directors won't have to start prohibiting cameras on the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment