Run In A Million Ticker

Monday, January 6, 2014

Finding balance


There are times when (my) running needs to take a backseat to other activities. 

As a coach for travel soccer, I attempt to instill the importance of conditioning and training in my players, to help them separate themselves from their competitors -- if they can run longer and faster than the other team, then they'll have the advantage in every game.

Selfishly, I do have them run regularly, not only for their own benefit -- but for mine as well! It is also a good way to integrate sprinting and speedwork, into my otherwise 1-dimensional running. It also sends a great message to the kids that 

I'm willing to put in the hard work with them -- instead of standing on the sidelines having them run lap after lap, putting forth little to no effort.

Last week over the holiday break, my son had the fortunate opportunity to train with and meet a few Major League soccer players. While I had wanted to get in a run that morning, nothing beats seeing the excitement across my son's face after meeting these players.


Dilly Duka, Chicago Fire
Matt Miazga, NY Red Bulls






Kevan George, Columbus Crew















It's the balance between sports...balance with family...and balance within running that will help me strike the right balance and keep healthy and running longer.

Keep running and find your balance!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment